Are you familiar with the expression ‘brainstorming’, in case you have already come across this captivating word, have you ever thought how important a brainstorming session is – and why?
If you have a website that has to reel out day-by-day information, sometimes it’s really hard to come up with fresh and original ideas, especially when you face different people’s opinions and have to come to an understanding between them all.
This is where brainstorming becomes really helpful, especially when you then come away with something worthwhile. Brilliant brainstorming sessions can be energising for your employees, and the best ‘ingredient’ that helps get a creative flow of ideas in the correct atmosphere.
Usually a good brainstorming session will stimulate inspiring brilliant ideas, almost always through the ideas that are meaningless to the course to start with. Every bad idea creates a meaningful beneficial idea, a domino chain of new innovation.
The first process of brilliant ideas is coming up with bad ideas 1st:
The flow of ideas, it is common sense that people might be worried about sounding stupid or uninformed when expressing opinions or pitching ideas that aren’t well thought out or completely shared by the others.
Some studies have proved that people are particularly apprehensive when sharing ideas in the same room as their managers of the company. These apprehensions can lead to less productivity in brainstorming groups, and thus stigmatise any further progression.
An effective method to get people involved and not scared to share their thoughts with the other is:
- To spend at least 10 minutes coming up with a bunch of bad ideas. This helps people to relax.
- Having a laugh with colleagues and understanding better, which ideas could be the ones that work better than others.
The second trick is Breaking and Building Ideas:
One way to turn a few ideas into many is by breaking them down and then build them up again:
- If you’re starting with a general topic, try breaking it down into smaller parts and seeing if other ideas come from it.
- A good way to start breaking down ideas is to ask each person of the room to write down a couple of ideas or words on post-it notes, which would be then collect all together or stuck on a board.
- Related to this, you can also play word games to drum up some out-of-the-box thinking, needed to avoid the fruitless and generic mind-set of the beginning. It is important to let people ideas flow naturally and don’t over think things about what one has said.
Finally, once you’ve listed out a bunch of words, collect them together according to how they’re related to one another. Creating a broader and more unique set of topics to individually focus on, thus gaining more out of what started as just one word/topic!
The third trick is creating a mood board and doodling:
- Visual-spatial arrangements
These are all essential assets to spring out emotions and feelings, but the most common way to stimulate visually is, as said before, the use of the so called ‘mood board’, especially when coming up with new branding and design concepts.
Doodling helps spur creative insight, increasing attention span, and freeing up short- and long-term memory.
Last but not least, another important trick is changing the Physical Environment:
Switching up your physical environment can actually affect the way your brain works.
Neurobiologists believe enriched environments can speed up the rate at which the human brain creates new neurons and neural connections. Meaning that where you conduct your brainstorming sessions could have an effect on the ideas your team comes up with!
All Food for Thought!